Saturday, March 12, 2011

Stuffed Banana Nut Waffles

Here is yet another wonderful way to utilize your over-ripened bananas.  My husband and all of my children are banana lovers, so I buy a bunch every week.  Sometimes they eat them all, and sometimes there are a few left behind by the time I go back to the market.  So, this is when I usually whip up some Banana Bread, Banana Muffins or if there is any sort of occasion a Banana Cake.  And since I have  received my waffle iron this year, I have been experimenting whenever possible.  And this particular experiment is a keeper.

4 cups of all-purpose flour
1/2 cup of sugar
2 tsp. of baking soda
2 tsp. of baking powder
1 tsp. of salt
4 eggs (beaten, always use Large eggs for baking)
3/4 cup of canola oil
2 cups of sour cream
1 tsp. of real vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups of milk
3 large over-ripened bananas (mashed)
3/4 cup of crushed pecans
garnish with cream cheese and maple syrup

-Preheat waffle iron.  In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.  Add in eggs and oil, stir until thoroughly combined.  Then add in sour cream, followed by the milk and vanilla.  Lastly, stir in the bananas and pecans.  Allow batter to rest for about 5 minutes before using.  Pour a scant 2 cups of batter into the center of the waffle iron and cook on 2 3/4- 3 1/4 for the temperature setting.  Serve with a smear of cream cheese and some maple syrup.  Makes 16 waffles.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment