Friday, March 18, 2011

Homemade Cole Slaw

For years I have been trying to get this down right.  I have always added in too much mayo, not realizing that it will get more moist as the sugar sweats the cabbage.   The key is more sugar than you would think to add.  I also was trying to taste test it as I was making it, which led to waaaayyyy too much vinegar.   I could never taste the vinegar myself, so I just kept pouring it in thinking but I really want that tang from the vinegar.  So, I would ask my husband to try it and he would make the most god awful face every time.  Eventually he started to ask me to just buy it already made.  And all that did was make me more determined to get it right. Time is all I needed to add.  Once the sugar and vinegar do their magic, it all balances out as the flavors meld.  Patience is a virtue that I rarely possess.  But, I'm learning.

a slight 1/3 cup of sugar
4 tsp. of apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup of real mayonnaise
1 lb. bag of cole slaw style shredded cabbage and carrots
2/3 cup of red cabbage (diced)
fresh cracked pepper to your liking

-Combine the first 3 ingredients well in a medium mixing bowl.  Stir in the cole slaw mix and the red cabbage.  Once thoroughly combined add a healthy amount of fresh cracked pepper.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.  You can top your burgers, pulled-pork sandwiches and hot dogs with this or you can serve it on the side.  Serves 4-6.  Enjoy!http://www.youtube.com/user/JustCookingAway?feature=mhum

9 comments:

  1. If you put the sugar onto the cabbage and let sit for about 30 minutes before adding other ingredients, it sweats the cabbage nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. ;) Making a batch for my wedding this week. Diffidently
      going to add sugar and let the cabbage and it sit for a while now. :) Thanks

      Delete
  2. I add celery seed to that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use plain Greek yogurt instead of vinegar. It gives it that bite and lets me cut down on the mayo because it's creamy. I'm unsure how much healthier this is but mayo is never healthy. Shirley from fb!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic idea Shirley! Sounds like it would be healthier and less fat for sure!

    ReplyDelete