Monday, March 21, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy


Good Morning.  That's what some biscuits and gravy says to me.  Growing up in a Southern family, I have had my fair share of biscuits and gravy.  And if I do say so myself, mine aren't half bad.  Probably one of my top three.  Because we all know that no one has anything on either one of my Grandma's or Aunt Deby's recipe.

1 lb roll of sage pork sausage
1/8 tsp. cracked red pepper flakes
sea salt/ fresh cracked pepper
1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
a pinch of ground nutmeg
5 cups of milk

-Brown sausage on medium-high heat in a medium-sized pot.  Add in the red pepper, cracked pepper and some sea salt.  Once sausage is ready, add in the flour. Stir until flour is completely absorbed onto the sausage and you get the slightest bit of browning on the outside.  Slowly pour in milk while stirring.  Bring to a frothy boil, while constantly stirring, for a minute or two.  Stir in the nutmeg.  Reduce heat and simmer (gravy will start to thicken now) until ready to top off some warm biscuits.  Serves 4-6.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment