Sunday, June 26, 2011

Grandma Neva's Beer Battered Chicken Strips

I had completely forgotten that I had this hand written recipe tucked away in one of my many, many let me stress to you, of recipe boxes.  As I pulled it out of it's orderly place among the rest, I cannot describe in words the intense mixture of feelings that I was thrown into.  I had never even made this one, nor had I even remembered filing it away many years ago.  It was like a gift.  A wonderful surprise, that was sitting and waiting for me.   I was merely searching for inspiration for deep fried recipes to concoct.  I am not a huge at home frying type of a person, so I was racking my brains and my boxes to find some staple frying recipes for everyone.  Then, I came across this one.  And I stopped.  I then knew that I must attempt this particular recipe and include it in my cook book for her, my late Grandma Neva, for my family, for all of you and especially for myself.  Thank you Grandma for everything that I have learned from you while I watched from the edges of the kitchen.  And thank you Grandma for these little treasures of yours that I am still learning from now. 

3 large boneless/ skinless chicken breasts (sliced into thick strips)
3/4 cup of cornstarch
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. of pepper
1/4 tsp. of cayenne (this was still mild-you could totally add more if you prefer)
1 beer
1 egg (slightly beaten)
peanut oil for frying

-Preheat the oil in your fryer to 350*.  In a medium bowl, stir together the first 5 ingredient's; add beer and egg. Stir until smooth.  Dredge your chicken through the batter and drop about 6-9 pieces in at a time.  Fry for 5-6 minutes.  Remove and place on a paper towel-lined platter to cool before serving. You can use this batter for chicken, onion ring's, vegetable's, cheese etc.  Serves 4-6.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment