Sunday, September 25, 2011

My Take On a Coney Dog

Sometimes I make my Scratch-Made Chili so often that by the second or third day of having leftovers we become chili'd out.  Sad but true.  So, I try to find fun and different ways to get rid of the last lone bowl that is always left behind in the fridge.  Sometimes I freeze it, that way it is ready to be warmed up whenever Rich gets in from a cold morning, or let's just be honest here, a cold day of hunting.  And other times I use it for my Good Stuff Dip or for my interpretation of a Coney Dog.  And that's what we have here.  Basically it's a compile of all of my regular staples of my cooking that are leftover from previous meals from that week.  I am always whipping up a batch of my cole slaw to accompany my slow-cooker sandwiches that I am forever concocting and I always have my pantry stocked to the brim with my Jalapeno Dill Pickles.  So, when we have a little bit of leftover chili I always know what to do with it.  I keep a few packages of hot dogs and buns in the deep freeze at all times for this fun and impulsive dinner. 

8 all beef hot dogs (I used Ballpark this time)
1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
2 cups of my warmed Scratch-Made Chili (see recipe)
2 cups of my Homemade Cole Slaw recipe:  http://tonya-justcooking.blogspot.com/2011/03/homemade-cole-slaw.html
1/4 cup of red onion (diced)
8 of my Sliced Jalapeno Dill Pickles (see recipe)
1 package of sausage roll buns (they are nice and thick-hold up better with all the heavy fixing's)

-Bring a medium saucepan to a rapid boil; add in hot dogs.  Boil the hot dogs for about 5 minutes or until they start to 'plump up'.  Remove and place one in each bun and cover it with cheese.  Spoon on a heaping ladle of chili, a mountain of slaw, a sprinkling of onion and wedge a pickle in the side.  Serves 4-8.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment