Saturday, August 27, 2011

Slow-Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches

Boy oh boy.  This is a good one right here.  I absolutely love the addition of the liquid smoke in this BBQ sandwich.  It adds a whole different depth of flavor that can only otherwise be achieved by actually smoking the roast prior to slow-cooking it.  And since I lack a smoking pit, I use this handy little devil.  It has been quite a while since I have used any liquid smoke in my cooking and when I was cleaning out my spice cabinet I spotted it.  And it was as if there was a great white light shining out of it and a symphony booming from somewhere above me.  My first thought was that we shall be using this wonderful extract in some kind of a BBQ masterpiece.  And then my second thought was, that I wanted a beef sandwich.  And viola' there you go.  My Slow-Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwich was born.  It is just that simple for me at times.

3 lb. beef rump roast
1 T. of bacon grease (if I did not have this on hand I would use some e.v.o.-but the bacon grease is the key)
1/4 cup of light brown sugar (packed)
2 T. of Dijon mustard
1 tsp. of liquid smoke
1 1/2 cups of ketchup
1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
2 T. of Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. of salt
1/4 tsp. of black pepper
1/4 tsp. of garlic powder
sliced pickles (see my Jalapeno Dill Pickles recipe)
12 buns

-Heat a stockpot up to a high heat and add in the bacon grease.  Sear each side of the roast for about 3-5 minutes each to form a very dark brown (almost burnt) bark on the exterior.  Meanwhile in a large mixing bowl, combine the remaining ingredients and stir well.  Once the roast is nice and crispy all over, transfer it to your slow-cooker.  Return the stockpot to the stove and reduce the heat to medium-high.  Pour the sauce into the stockpot and bring to a boil while constantly stirring (getting all of the flavor left behind from the bacon grease and the roast).  Then just pour it over the roast in the slow-cooker and set to cook LOW and SLOW for 8-10 hours (the longer the better).  Once it's finished, using two large forks, simply shred up the roast.  Serve on  a split bun with one of my sliced Jalapeno Dill Pickles.  Serves 12.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. This looks great and I am always looking for dinner ideas that will be finished when I come home from work. My teenagers will just want a bowl full of the BQ and bowl of ice cream and I won't see them for the rest of the night Perfect....

    Keep the great foodie idea coming!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) Thanks and of course I will ;) This is the best BBQ Beef literally that I have ever had. I hope you all enjoy it as much as us :)

    ReplyDelete