Sunday, August 7, 2011

Fresh Garden Spaghetti

A whole dish can be brought out of just one perfectly ripened vegetable.  Take the zucchini for example.  At this point in summer I will have anywhere from 1 to 3 of them at any given time on my kitchen counter.  Just waiting to inspire a delicious meal or a wonderful dessert.  So when my five year old daughter, Paige, came to me and asked for "sip-up noodles" (spaghetti) for dinner that night.  I immediately thought, yes as I looked over to the beautiful zucchini harvest adorning my counter top.  I then turned to her smiling and said, "Sure sugar, we can have spaghetti tonight.  Thanks for the inspiration Paigey."  Sometimes inspiration can come from anywhere or from anyone.

3-4 cups of zucchini (sliced and 1/4'd)
1 red onion (chopped)
2 cloves of garlic (minced)
2 T. extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
1- 26oz. jar of spaghetti sauce (I used Traditional Prego)
1 T. of fresh basil (chopped)
1 T. of fresh flat leaf parsley (chopped)
1 lb. of uncooked spaghetti pasta

-In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, saute the zucchini, onion and garlic in some e.v.o. with a good amount of salt and pepper.  Once the veggies are tender and lightly browned all over, add in the red sauce and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to simmer and add in fresh herbs.  Meanwhile for pasta, bring a large stock pot of water to a roaring boil, add in about a tablespoon of e.v.o. and a nice sprinkle of salt (to flavor and keep your pasta from sticking together), stir and then add in pasta.  Cook for about 7-8 minutes for Au Dente' (keep in mind that it will continue to cook in the hot sauce).  Serve sauce over pasta.  Serves 4-6.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment