Saturday, August 27, 2011

Cucumber Salad


I went to a Polish wedding about ten years ago now I guess.  And at this very authentic Polish Wedding, we were served the most wonderful Cucumber Salad that I have ever had.  And literally since then, I have been trying to recreate it at home, only to repetitively fail at it.  And every year at this time, when I am drowning in fresh garden cucumbers, I attempt another go at it.  I could never get it quite right and that has been driving me absolutely insane for all these years.  I mean, there was only 3 maybe 4 ingredients in the dang dish to begin with.  How on earth could I not figure that out?  So, this year, I decided to get a little bit of input on it to help me figure out what I was missing.  And low and behold, of all things in this entire world that could have been my missing ingredient, it was fresh lemon juice.  How could I have missed that one?  Anyone that is anyone knows that my most favorite thing is lemon.  Go figure.

3-4 large ripe cucumbers (peeled, sliced and then 1/4'd)
16 oz. of sour cream
zest and juice from 1 large lemon
4 T. of fresh dill (chopped)
fresh cracked pepper and sea salt for garnish

-In a large mixing bowl combine the cucumbers, sour cream, lemon zest, lemon juice and dill.  Cover and refrigerate for at least 4 hours (overnight is best).  Serve with a healthy sprinkle of salt and pepper.  Serves 8-10.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment