Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Warm Apple Buckle

This dessert is basically like a dump cake or I guess it would be a dump pie.  There is all the same stuff as in a dutch apple pie, minus the pie crust and all the hard work.  I love to make this one with whatever fruit that I have lying around the kitchen.  It is not only amazing with apples, but it is great with pears, peaches and even blueberries.  And if you only have canned fruit, well you can even just use that.  I used the canned peaches once, and I'll tell you it was not as wonderful as it is with the fresh ones, but it was still very very good.  I think that this may be one of my favorite desserts.  It makes me think of being in the kitchen with my children and my husband.  And it reminds me of our evening walks, me using the bottom of the stroller to steal the apples from the abandoned lot.  I sure do love to take walks that way say in September ;)

6 large Baeburn apples (peeled/ cored/ sliced)
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp. of baking powder
1/2 tsp. of salt
1 egg (remember to always use a Large size, room temp. egg when baking)
1/2 cup (1 stick) of real unsalted butter (melted)
1/2 tsp. of cinnamon
1/4 tsp. of nutmeg
cinnamon and sugar for garnish

-Preheat oven to 350*.  Arrange apples evenly in a deep casserole dish.  In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; stir in egg until crumbly.  Pour dry mixture over the top of apples, then drizzle top with melted butter all over.  Sprinkle with some extra cinnamon and sugar on top and bake for 40-45 minutes.  Serve with vanilla bean ice cream.  Serves 6.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment