Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Perfectly Sweet Sweet Tea

If you have ever been over to my house for a visit or a meal, you most likely were offered some of my sweet tea.  This is a staple beverage in our home.  Not only is tea good for you, but it goes with everything.  And not to mention it costs considerably less than soda.  I grew up with a pitcher of sweet tea gracing my mothers' refridgerator, and now my children will too.  And with little embelishes like fresh mint, lemon or raspberries (or all together if I'm feeling a little crazy), you can make it different and special.

3 Lipton Tea bags                                                                         
3 1/2-4 tbs. sugar
bunch of fresh mint leaves (no stems), lemon slices or fresh raspberries (optional)
water

-Bring a small saucepan of water to a boil; remove from heat.  Place tea bags in pan to soak for 3-5 minutes (if you leave them in too long, your tea can have a bitter after-taste).  Remove tea bags and squeeze excess tea out of them before discarding.  Stir in sugar until dissolved.  Pour into a 2 quart pitcher (I prefer glass, you don't get a funky taste from it like plastic and it doesn't stain).  Fill up the pitcher the rest of the way with cold water while stirring.  Chill and serve over ice with a couple mint leaves.  Serves 6-8.  Enjoy!http://www.youtube.com/user/JustCookingAway?feature=mhum

2 comments:

  1. Sweet tea is a given at my house too, although mine is MUCH sweeter than yours. I use liquid splenda to sweeten it, if I used sugar as sweet as we like it, it would be a high calorie drink. When I used sugar, I used 1-1 1/2 cups sugar per gallon of tea. I always make a sweet syrup instead of adding the sugar to the tea. Makes a difference.

    Tonya, you should try Luzianne tea bags at least once. They make the best iced tea! Also, if you sueeze your tea bags you release the tannic acid in them and it gives your tea a slightly different taste. I like it so I always squeeze, but many people think it's a mistake to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ;) squeezer right here!

    ReplyDelete