Saturday, March 24, 2012

Carribean Jerk Chicken Salad Subs

I love to make chicken salad.  And I love to make chicken salad with my leftover chicken from a previous meal.  It makes me feel handy and efficient to make use of our leftovers.  Call me lame, but I would rather spread what I can as far as I can.  Wasteful is not a term used to describe the functionality of my kitchen, that is for darn sure.  So, since we had some delicious grilled marinated chicken earlier this week, and there was just 2 lone pieces just wasting away in my fridge, I figured that it was as good as a time as any to whip up some chicken salad.  And what a delicious scrap and serve sandwich it turned out to be.

2 boneless/ skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup of Caribbean Jerk marinade (I used L.C. Masterpiece)
3-4 T. of yellow onion (diced)
3-4 T. of red cabbage (diced)
1/2 of a small sweet red apple (I used a Gala apple, diced)
1/4 cup of real mayonnaise (more or less is up to you)
1 T. of fresh lemon juice (from 1/2 of a lemon)
1-2 tsp. of dried crushed basil
2 T. of BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Ray's Original)
iceberg lettuce (ripped up, for garnish)

-Marinade your chicken breasts with the Caribbean Jerk marinade in a shallow dish, covered, in the fridge for 3-4 hours.  Grill over medium heat for about 10-15 minutes on each side (or until the center is no longer pink and juices run clear).  Remove from the grill, plate and allow to cool completely.  Thinly slice the chicken and chop into small pieces.  Mix the chicken well with all of the remaining ingredients in a medium mixing bowl.  Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour or longer for the flavors to meld together.  Serve on sliced sub rolls with some fresh ripped up lettuce.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!@

No comments:

Post a Comment