Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Hawaiian Burgers

My husband, Rich's, most favorite fruit is pineapple.  And he is absolutely in love with it when I grill it up outside with some honey.  So, that is where I got the inspiration for this awesome concoction of flavors and toppings for this here burger, from his love of pineapples.  He was watching t.v. one night while I was washing up the kitchen after dinner, when he saw a commercial or something about a Hawaiian style sandwich.  He was like, "Man that sounds good."  And me, being me, was not paying attention to the television or to him really, but looked up when he said that.  All that I caught was that it was a sandwich with some pineapple on it.  Immediately I looked over at him and was like, "Hey what do you think about a Hawaiian style burger with some of my honey grilled pineapples on top?"  He broke out in a huge grin and produced a very determined nod in my direction.  All he could get out was, "Yeeeesssss."  And I had to laugh to myself at how true it is when "They" say that a way to a mans heart is through his stomach.

1 1/2 lbs. of 80/20 ground beef
7-8 T. of Caribbean Jerk Marinade (divided)
3 T. of mayonnaise
2 tsp. of pineapple juice (just use it from the can of pineapples)
1/2 of a fresh jalapeno (seeded and minced)
1 can of sliced pineapple rings in their juice (it's up to you how many you want to use)
honey
sliced baby Swiss cheese
large kaiser roll buns (sliced open)
1 large red ripe tomato (sliced)
torn lettuce

-Place you ground beef in a small bowl and thoroughly knead 4 T. of the marinade into it, cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, but not longer than 24 hours (I did mine up in the morning to chill until dinner time, maybe 6-7 hours or so).  Also, go ahead and whip up the flavored mayonnaise at this time too by stirring together the mayo, pineapple juice and the jalapenos.  Place it into a small covered container and refrigerate until ready to use (the longer the better for the flavors to meld).  When you are ready to start dinner, preheat your grill to a medium-high heat.  Make 4 large patties out of your marinated ground beef and toss them onto the bottom rack of your grill.  Then brush both sides of your pineapple rings with a bit of honey (intensifies their sweetness and keeps them from sticking to the grill) and toss them on right next to the burgers (keeping a close eye on them as to not burn them and flip them often).  Grill your burgers for about 5 minutes on the first side, flip them, brush on some of the remaining marinade and grill for another 3-5 minutes more depending on how well done you like your burger (I did them MW this time because I was cooking for a crowd).   Right before you are ready to take them off the grill, toss on the baby Swiss cheese and grill for about 30 seconds or so more.  Meanwhile, for the buns, I tossed them open side down onto the top rack about 2 minutes before my burgers were done grilling- mainly just to warm and soften them up, putting on just a slight exterior crust.  Toss the burgers onto the toasted kaiser rolls and top with a grilled pineapple slice or two, a thick slice of tomato, a few rips of lettuce and a thick slather of your pre-made jalapeno-pineapple mayo.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment