Monday, October 10, 2011

Layered Cream Cheese and Pumpkin Pie

I was enjoying a cup of my Indian coffee the other morning out on the front porch, when something occurred to me.  Something that I am quite surprised that I haven't thought of sooner.  I had a sudden epiphany that I should make a new autumn dessert that was basically a combination of all of my most favorite things.  It would be a pumpkin pie of course, with a layer of cream cheese filling (to satisfy my ever increasing addiction), that was divided by a layer of pecan pie all neatly placed inside of one of my special pie crusts.   I almost fell out of my chair as I rushed to inside to the kitchen.

1 pie shell from my recipe for Tonya's Special Pie Crust:  http://tonya-justcooking.blogspot.com/2010/11/tonyas-special-pie-crust.html
8 oz. cream cheese (softened)
1/4 cup of sugar
1/2 tsp. of vanilla
1 egg (beaten)
1/4 cup of pecan chips
1 T. of light brown sugar
1 1/4 cup of canned pumpkin
3 T. of sugar
1 T. of pure honey
1 tsp. of pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp. of ground cinnamon
2 eggs (beaten)
1 cup of evaporated milk
cool whip and ground nutmeg for garnish

-Preheat your oven to 350*.  Cream together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend in the egg. Spread this mixture out evenly across the bottom of the pie shell. Then sprinkle on the pecans and the brown sugar over the top.  In a large mixing bowl, stir together the  pumpkin, sugar and spices. Beat in the eggs and milk carefully (as not to splatter your kitchen with it). Pour this over the top of the brown sugar and pecan topped cream cheese layer and spread it out with a knife. Bake at 350* for 1 hour. Cool completely, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.  Serve with cool whip and a sprinkle of nutmeg.  Serves 8.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment