Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Baked Sweet Onion Dip

There are times when I crave things like this.  Appetizers that is.  Things that are not supposed to be a meal.  Things that are too rich and, well yes, too fattening (honesty is the best policy) for an every day affair.  Well, hogwash!  If I had to wait for the right occasion, I may never get some of my most favorite things.  So, I like to declare an appetizer spread super every so often, maybe about two or three times a year.  And I go around and ask each of our four children and my husband what is their own personal appetizer request.  Then I go ahead and make all of them and spread it all out down the counter with little plates and pickle forks.  It's orange juice in wine glasses for them and, well, wine in wine glasses for us (the kids get the biggest kick out of their 'special' drink, just like I did when I was little and my Mom gave me my orange juice in a wine glass once in a blue moon).  And then it's sitting down and pigging out on something that we don't get very often, appetizers.  And this particular appetizer here, well this is one on my rotating list of favorites.  It is absolutely, positively amazing in each and every way.  You just gotta try it.

1 large sweet vidalia onion (diced)
1- 2 cup bag of shredded 5 Italian cheese's
2 cups of real mayonnaise (I only use Hellman's)
assorted crackers

-Preheat your oven to 400*.  Combine all ingredients together inside of a 2 qt. baking dish, then spread out evenly.  Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes or until the top is a nice golden brown all over.  Serve warm with assorted crackers (I like it best on large wheat rounds).  Serves many.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment