Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Cream of Broccoli Soup

This has always been a favorite soup of mine since all the way back as far as I can remember.  And to tell you the truth, my memories came from sitting at my best friend, Stacy's, dinner table, not at my own with this one.  It was her Mom, Sandy, that would make this soup by scratch all summer long from the bounty of her own garden.  It was there at her table, where my love of vegetables was born.  From her soups to her wagon wheels (made out of zucchini), I learned to love it all.  She had a houseful of kids.  At one point there were 6 altogether and with me, which was usually a given, there were 7.  And due to her there was always a healthy homemade meal.  She made sure that there was always more than enough and that I was always welcomed. She is the original back to the basics cook and she is and was absolutely amazing in her kitchen.  I spent many a nights at their dinner table and many a days there playing with all of the children.  And I am honored to post a recipe for her, another wonderful woman in my life that has helped me learn to cook and grow my own ingredients. Sandy this one is just for you.

5 cups of fresh broccoli head (chopped)
1 cup of peeled baby carrots (sliced)
1 medium vidalia sweet onion (diced)
3 1/4 cups of chicken stock
2 T. of real butter (I generally always use un-salted butter in my cooking too since I buy it so much for baking)
2 T. of all-purpose flour
sea salt (to your liking)
1/8 tsp. of white pepper
1 cup of heavy whipping cream
1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 T. of lemon juice
1/4 cup of milk + 2 T. of all-purpose flour (whisked together this is a slurry used to thicken the soup if you prefer)

-Bring a large stockpot of water to a boil, then add in your broccoli, carrots and onion; boil until crisp tender.  Drain out the water from the pot.  Place all but 1 cup of the veggies into your blender or food processor (set a reserved 1 cup of veggies to the side for adding in later), along with 1/2 of the chicken stock and puree until smooth.  Back to your original empty stockpot, toss in your butter and melt it down over medium heat.  Stir in your 2 T. of flour, sea salt and white pepper (this is making a rue).  Once this is combined and just beginning to lightly brown, pour in the cream and stir it in well.  Bring this to a frothy boil and then add in your pureed veggies, reserved 1 cup of cooked veggies, remaining chicken stock, cheese and lemon juice.  Let this return to a boil and reduce the heat to low.  If at this time the soup is too thin for your liking, go ahead and make the flour slurry by fork whisking together 1/4 cup of milk and 2 T. of flour in a small bowl.  You can add this slurry in a little at a time, or like me all at once (I like my cream soups thick thick thick).  Go ahead and return it back to a boil over medium heat before serving.  Serves 4.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment