Monday, November 14, 2011

Sauteed Pork Chops with a Brown Apple Gravy

What a beautiful fall dish this one is here.  This is one of my most favorite ways to have pork chops.  They are so tender and moist prepared like this.  I absolutely love the pairing of apples and pork.   I think that they go hand in hand.  And, I know what you are thinking, you are thinking  that the gravy would be too sweet with the apple juice in it, but it actually comes off more savory than sweet when you have cooked it down with the pork chops in it.  And there is no better way to serve it up than over some of my homemade mashed potatoes.  Good hearty food is what I was brought up on, as are my children as well.

4 thick center-cut bone-in pork chops (the bone gives more flavor)
sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
1-2 T. of extra virgin olive oil
1 large golden delicious apple (or whatever apple you have that is sweet, peeled, cored and sliced)
2 packets of brown pork gravy mix by McCormick's
2 cups of apple juice or apple cider
1 recipe of my Mashed Potatoes

-Generously salt and pepper both sides of the pork chops.  Heat up the e.v.o. in a large deep saucepan over medium-high heat.  Once the oil and the pan are good and hot, toss in the pork chops making sure that each one is flat on the pan (if you do not have a large enough pan to do all 4 at once, you will have to do them in batches of 2-no biggie).  Saute' them on each side for about 4-5 minutes (you are looking for a nice dark golden brown-not burnt- crusting to appear on them).  And you really only want to flip them once.  Just before they are about done on the second side, add in the apples to lightly brown them up as well.  Meanwhile in a small bowl, stir together the pork gravy mix and the apple juice; pour it right over the chops and apples.  Bring the gravy to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 20-30 minutes (the longer the better).  Serve with some of my Mashed Potatoes (see recipe).  Serves 4.  Enjoy! 

1 comment:

  1. I am not in a position to see this web site properly on my phone :(

    Also visit my web site: why am i not getting pregnant

    ReplyDelete